Having been curved out of the then Northern Region, the Savannah Region was established as a Region by Constitutional Instrument number one hundred and fifteen (C.I. 115) of 2019 with Damongo as the regional capital.
The decision to create this new region stems from the demands from a substantial majority of the people of Gonja land and the desire by the government to bring governance closer to the people to ensure more grassroots participation in decision making. The Northern Region as it was then, was too large geographically to be managed effectively as a single entity.
The creation of the region makes it easier to focus on the efficient exploration and tapping of the abundant natural resources of the region for the accelerated socio economic development of the region.
The population of the region is currently estimated at 581,368 with an annual growth rate of 2.8%.
Savannah Region, like most regions of Ghana is not mono-ethnic yet the different ethnic groups have lived together for several years peacefully. There are over nineteen (19) ethnic groups in the new region.
LOCATION AND SIZE
Savannah region is the largest in Ghana with a landmass of 46,922 sq. Km, constituting about one-fifth (1/5) of the total land area of Ghana. The region is bordered on the north by the Upper West Region, on the west by the Ghana-Cote d’Ivoire and Burkina Faso international borders, on the south by Bono and Bono East regions and on the west by North- East and Northern regions. Savannah region has two (2) municipalities and five (5) districts. They are
- East Gonja Municipality- Salaga as the Capital
- West Gonja Municipality- Damongo as the capital
- Bole District- Bole as the capital
- Sawla-Tuna-Kalba District- Sawla as the capital
- North Gonja District- Daboya as the capital
- Central Gonja District- Buipe as the capital
- North East Gonja District- Kpalbe as the capital
- Besides the seven MDAs the Region has seven Constituencies, namely; Bole/Bamboi, Daboya/Mankarigu, Damongo, Salaga North, Salaga South, Yapei/Kusawgu and Sawla/Tuna/Kalba Constituencies.